Saturday, October 1, 2011

Help-Portrait





Took part in a great event today called "Help-Portrait". It was organized by Jeremy Cowart, a photographer to the stars. It's a movement to give back. To think about photography a little differently. To give photos instead of just take them.

The event I was part of had tons of volunteers! Eight studio set-ups that could accommodate up to 24 families per hour for shooting. There were people of all kinds there as far as volunteers and guests go. I met a friend, so that was exciting! We talked about going to an Indigo Girls concert, so as soon as they are back up this way I know I have someone to go with! Hooray!

The event itself went well. We had at least 50 families come through before noon and I think the afternoon was supposed to be a little slower. It was so interesting seeing folks who have never had photos taken have a chance to get them made with their families. I can hardly imagine not having photos of my family from my childhood. We didn't do a lot of professional photos, but we did have a lot of pictures! A lot of people who have fallen on hard times don't even have snap shots.

Anyway, it was a great event that went off really well. Most people were in and out in about an hour and walked out with their prints in hand. I was glad to be a part of it and glad to meet some new people. I think we're going to like it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment