Thursday, September 29, 2011

Reality

I think it's finally starting to set in. It happened today after dropping my mom off at the airport. I've been expecting it, but wasn't quite sure when it would actually hit-- I live very far away from almost everyone I know.

I told the Engineer I was just waiting for a "sad day" to come along. I knew when we decided to move that it would be exciting and fun, but I also knew it would be hard and that there would be days I was "homesick" and sad. In three weeks time I didn't have one single day where I felt sad. (Of course I have not really slowed down long enough to think about whether I missed our old home or was sad or not...)

Today, though, it sort of sunk in. When I dropped my mom off at the airport and we said goodbye it seemed real. That it really would be months before I saw her in person again. It was sort of strange and overwhelming and sad at the same time. I was sad to say goodbye to my mom, but I think this departure represented the whole of friends and family and the realization that they are all very far away and that I won't see them again for months or maybe longer.

On top of reality setting in about the move and the changes I also finished a book that really made me think pretty hard about some things. As it shapes-up into a cohesive thought I'll share it. For now it's just one of the many things swirling about in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment